Monday 3 November 2008

HIV meds or Not???

I was interested to read an article in this months Positive Nation Magazine about weather to take HIV antiretrovirals or to rely on 'Natropathic' treatments

  • You can down load a copy of this magazine here: http://www.positivenation.co.uk/ or ask for a physical copy - every one who is HIV Poz can get a copy sent in the post every month.

I was interested because although I went on the meds and did not at the time dispute that I should, I have been in contact recently with several who do not take meds and do not want them despite for some, their CD4 levels going down below the level where it is recommended you start

And indeed some who have found that on 'Natropathic' treatments their CD4 levels have risen to a manageable level - but their virus load has not dropped as this seems only to happen with HIV antiretro's?

I think it is important for everyone with HIV to make their own decisions about meds and of course I do believe that your state of mind is so very important for your immune system so if you are not happy to go on meds you may not take them religiously as they have to be taken and also may be further stressed at the thought of havign to take them?

I have to say that I went on meds as by the time I was diagnosed my CD4s were already under the level that I should start.

And while I did not find it easy at first as I was scared of them - to be honest taking the meds I am on at the moment are now no problem at all ( mild digestive problems at times that means I sometimes need to be near a loo)but really nothing so bad I can not cope with easily - and I feel 100% better on them - I feel I have got my life back!!

I knew I was not well before I went on them but I did not realize how low I had become until I started he meds and started to feel so much better

And I know that this is not due to any placebo effect - I have faced many mental/emotional challenges in my life and am very self aware and I know that I feel better on the meds because I am better.

But who is to say alternative therapies do not work?

I have met some who are on them and are still alive and relatively well many years after HIV diagnosis who believe they do.

I am interested to know what others think?

Veritee

1 comment:

apostleshadamishe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.